When life’s hardships become overwhelming, we can all use a little extra support. These hardships can challenge us and make us feel vulnerable. Ashley Nielsen believes that during these times everyone needs an opportunity to share their story in a warm, compassionate, and nonjudgmental environment. With kindness and gentle guidance, Ashley helps her clients understand their challenges and explore their unique stories at their own pace.
Therapy is a place where everyone should have a chance to process through their thoughts, heal their pain, and grow as individuals. Ashley uses a strengths-based approach to empower you to transform your life in positive and lasting ways.
At Foundations Counseling, Ashley Nielsen works with a wide variety of clients who may be seeking services that include:
- Mental Health and Wellness – anxiety, depression, stress, trauma and abuse recovery, self-esteem, art therapy, eating disorders, boundaries, sexual and gender identity issues, holistic health, active life benefits, healthy habits
- Relationship and Couples Counseling – couples counseling, communication, affair recovery, codependency, sexuality and intimacy issues, alternative relationships, abuse, premarital counseling, dating and breakups, marital difficulties, unresolved conflict and conflict resolution
- Individual Counseling – sexual abuse, trauma, anxiety, depression, self-esteem and self-worth issues, stress, PTSD, weight issues, social anxiety, assertiveness, panic attacks, abandonment issues
- Growth-Oriented Counseling – career counseling, grief and loss, burnout and lack of motivation, quarter life crisis, empowerment, life transitions, individual development, male and female role issues, restoring meaning to life
Ashley Nielsen earned her Master’s Degree from Fort Hays State University with a Master of Science in Clinical Psychology. She received her Bachelor of Science in Psychology, with a Minor in Art, from the University of Nebraska at Kearney.
Ashley has worked in a variety of settings, including an inpatient community mental health facility, a college counseling center, and a mental health crisis response center. Her experience includes working with adults, adolescents, families, and college students. She has also received specialized training in relationship therapy and couples counseling. Ashley utilizes techniques from many different therapeutic approaches including Attachment Theory and Person-Centered Therapy.
When Ashley is not working, you can find her reading a good book, caring for her garden, or playing with her mischievous orange tabby cat, Holli.
Ashley Nielsen’s Professional Affiliations:
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American Mental Health Counseling Association (AMHCA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD)
- Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW)
- Colorado Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT)
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors (IAMFC)