Life can get hard. There are countless obstacles that we encounter on a daily basis that can be overwhelming at times. When trying to make it through the day these obstacles sometimes present a weight that feels insurmountable. In addition, life can sometimes seem isolating and debilitating. Matt VanDerMeulen believes that the core component of a successful therapeutic relationship is, in fact, the relationship. Making the changes one desires is achievable through a collaborative, trusting, and compassionate dynamic. Matt takes an action-oriented approach to help you identify problems, make changes, learn new skills, and reach the goals you set forth. By utilizing an integrative approach of empirically validated techniques combined with humor, Matt can help you achieve your goals.
At Foundations Counseling, Matt VanDerMeulen works with a wide variety of clients who may be seeking services that include:
- Children, Adolescents, and Teens – self-esteem and self-worth issues, suicidal ideation, anxiety, depression, drugs and alcohol, school and family issues, parenting challenges, ADHD, anger and defiance, autism spectrum, developmental disabilities, bullying, sport performance issues, behavioral disorders, PTSD, and assertiveness training
- Mental Health and Wellness – depression, stress, bipolar disorder, grief and loss, addiction, alcohol abuse and recovery, schizophrenia, self-esteem, personality disorders, PTSD, anger management, assertiveness training, adjustment, boundaries, self-care, and anxiety
- Individual Counseling – abuse, addictions, anger management, anxiety, depression, divorce recovery, empowerment, social anxiety, perfectionism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, fears and phobias, men’s issues, codependency, sex and porn addiction, sexual abuse, and trauma
- Relationship and Couples Counseling - communication, affair recovery, dating issues, parent-child interactions, pre-marital, attachment issues, boundaries, conflict resolution, divorce recovery, emotional affairs, infidelity, parenting, anger management, and intimacy issues
- Psychological and Neuropsychological Assessments - ADHD, learning disorders, personality disorders, mood disorders, career assessment, neurocognitive disorders, neuropsychological functioning, new hire evaluations, and risk assessments
Matt VanDerMeulen is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist (LP). He has a Doctorate in Psychology from the University of the Rockies in Denver, Colorado. He also holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois, and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Michigan State University. Matt utilizes techniques from a variety of clinical applications such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Psychodynamic Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Attachment-Based Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).
Matt has over 12 years of experience working with children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families with a wide range of issues such as mood related issues, behavioral related issues, severe and persistent mental illness, substance abuse and addictions, relationship issues, traumatic brain injuries and other cognitive related issues, performance related issues, and trauma. Matt has been married to his wife for 7 years and enjoys being the dad of a little two year old son. In his free time, Matt enjoys many different athletic ventures such as football, basketball, hiking, swimming, and lifting, but most of all, golf. Matt also holds an Associate’s Degree in Golf Course Management and Instruction from the Golf Academy of America.
Matt VanDerMeulen’s Professional Affiliations:
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (AACN)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)
- National Academy of Neuropsychology (NAN)
- National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- Psychological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT Institute)