As social beings, we are constantly seeking resources that can help us communicate our needs and our desire to build relationships. Keira (pronounced “Kayda”) Olivas believes that everyone has unique resources within themselves to grow, to find a purpose, to connect with others, and to make a difference in life. However, life challenges can disrupt our healthy human nature and well-being by prescribing for us ineffective and quick-fix options, by changing the perspective of who we are and who others are, and by challenging both our strengths and our ability to make important decisions.
Keira’s mission is to help people manage their lives and grow in a healthier and more effective manner. Therefore, Keira’s passion is to be an effective resource in encouraging people to identify and understand the impact of their life challenges, create constructive coping skills, find their own answers, redirect their own lives, reconnect with their inner selves, and develop feelings of redemption, self-love, and social interest.
Keira believes that one of her most important roles as a counselor is to develop a healthy therapeutic relationship with her clients based on active listening, unconditional acceptance, respect, empathy, congruence, and collaboration. Keira’s priority is to be transparent and to provide a safe, compassionate, and peaceful environment in order to develop trust and security with her clients. Keira offers integrative and systemic approaches to provide her clients with a personalized, active, and motivating therapy process that utilizes techniques that are unique to her clients’ needs.
At Foundations Counseling, Keira Olivas works with a variety of clients who seek services, including:
- Marriage and Couples Counseling – attachment issues, communication, codependency, sexuality, intimacy, affair recovery, pre-marital counseling, and second marriages
- Family Relationships – adoptive and foster parenting, parenting challenges, co-parenting counseling, multigenerational families, step families / blended families, infertility concerns, conflict resolution, decision making for aging parents
- Children, Adolescents, and Teens – trauma, cutting / self-injury, suicidal ideation, bullying, self-esteem and self-worth issues, eating disorder, anxiety, depression, anger management, effects of divorce
- Individual Counseling – empowerment, life coaching, self-worth issues, issues of race and multiculturalism, panic attacks, fears and phobias, abandonment issues, anger management, anxiety, depression, divorce recovery, and trauma
- Mental Health and Wellness – stress, sexual and gender identity issues, grief and loss, spirituality, adjustment, holistic health, boundaries, assertiveness training, self-care, life transitions, trauma, PTSD
Keira Olivas earned a Master of Arts in Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling / Therapy (with a Child and Adolescent Certificate) from the University of Northern Colorado. She received her Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Phoenix.
Keira’s experience includes working with children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families from different ethnic and social backgrounds. She has worked with clients who have experienced severe trauma, PTSD, sexual abuse, suicidal ideation, self-harming behaviors, anxiety, anger, depression, and marriage, couples, and family issues. Keira has received specialized training in Child Play Therapy, Gottman Couples Therapy: Levels 1 & 2, and trauma therapy. She has utilized safety planning, suicide prevention planning, Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), art therapy, play therapy, systemic theoretical approaches, and other mental health and family and couples’ interventions.
Keira has previously worked as a migrant and general behavioral / academic coach in the school system. Being born in Chihuahua, Mexico, Keira is bilingual (fluent in both English and Spanish) and a true Latina at heart. Her ethnic background has taught her to integrate the best of two cultures in her life, and to appreciate the beauty and accept the challenges that these two cultures embrace. When Keira is not working with clients, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children.